Go Back   Gecko Resource Forums > Featured Discussion Forums > Rhacodactylus ciliatus Discussion

Rhacodactylus ciliatus Discussion Crested Gecko Forum. Open Discussion of Rhacodactylus ciliatus.

Old 10-22-2008
" Seeing the details in life"
Black Belt

Andrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud of
Sexing crested geckos: HOW TO

I've recently been reading a lot of peoples comments throughout the forums trying to instruct others how to sex their geckos. I feel that a fair amount of these directions out there are either incomplete, or easily mis-construed, especially when they contain no visual reference.

Hopefully these photos will be of easy reference for new members to follow and understand.
First, a 45 gram male with an obvious bulge at the base of the tail. The bulge contains what is called the hemipenis ( side shot):

The same male with a shot from straight underneath the vent, also note in this photo the obvious pre-anal pores located on the undersides of the legs ( highlighted in the fifth photo posted here as well):

The hemipenal bulge in male crested geckos generally starts to become apparent between 10-15 grams, although there are exceptions, with some not showing an obvious bulge until after 15-20 grams.

Next up an adult female weighing in at 40 grams ( side shot). Please note, there is no obvious bulge on a female crested:

And the same female from underneath:

As referenced in photo number two, the next photo is meant to show what are called the 'pre-anal' pores. These pores are a couple of rows of scales on the underside of the back legs on male crested geckos, that have little black spots on them. These are visible using a close up view ( scan, photo, loupe) of the underside of a male crested gecko that is around 5-10 grams, generally before a bulge is visible.
The pores you're looking for are lined up in the highlighted green box. This photo is of a 4.5 gram crested gecko male. Pre-anal pores will be absent on female crested geckos. Somtimes the pre-anal pores are difficult to locate on heavily patterned, or dark crested geckos.

Please note that these instructions are for R. ciliatus. While most of these tips/pointers follow through to all species of Rhacodactylus, some localities/morphotypes of leachianus are more difficult to sex. Also note that some female Rhacodactylus species have what are called pseudo-pores, which are scales that look like they have pores, but are not nearly as apparent as the pre-anal pores. These are generally very lightly dimpled rows of scales, that do not have an obvious darker pore located in the center. I'll try to make a follow up post in the R. auriculatus forum showing photos of pseudo pores in female gargoyle geckos, hopefully sometime in the near future.

Please let me know if there are any suggestions to help clarify this post, or if you have any questions.
mylude90@gmail.com

Camera Set-up:
Canon 7D
Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens
+ much more
Old 10-22-2008
Adult
Brown Belt

SarahW is a diamond in the roughSarahW is a diamond in the roughSarahW is a diamond in the rough
Re: Sexing crested geckos: HOW TO

Thanks for the awesome clarification thread! These kinds of informative posts should be stickied to the top of the Crested Gecko Discussion forum, as an FAQ resource. Great pictures and explanation!
Old 10-22-2008
Adult
Brown Belt

M.Yatesomaha will become famous soon enough

Very thorough as always! I'm sure that will help clear up any sexing misconceptions.
Old 10-23-2008
Adult
Black Belt

Debbie is a splendid one to beholdDebbie is a splendid one to beholdDebbie is a splendid one to beholdDebbie is a splendid one to beholdDebbie is a splendid one to beholdDebbie is a splendid one to beholdDebbie is a splendid one to behold

Very nice! It's just to bad that some people tell how to sex wrongly!
Glad you cleared it up!
Old 10-23-2008
Adult
Black Belt

dcarter has a spectacular aura aboutdcarter has a spectacular aura about

Perfect photos as examples Andrew. I have been sexing mine in deli cups this year for the first time, but heard that wasn't accurate. What do you think? I figure it helps me get a better look, they stay still, and no one gets bit or looses a tail- but if it isn't accurate I want to know why and will go back to getting bit, lol.
Old 10-23-2008
" Seeing the details in life"
Black Belt

Andrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud ofAndrew Gilpin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks for the awesome clarification thread! These kinds of informative posts should be stickied to the top of the Crested Gecko Discussion forum, as an FAQ resource. Great pictures and explanation!
not a problem. Twas stickied right when I made the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
Perfect photos as examples Andrew. I have been sexing mine in deli cups this year for the first time, but heard that wasn't accurate. What do you think? I figure it helps me get a better look, they stay still, and no one gets bit or looses a tail- but if it isn't accurate I want to know why and will go back to getting bit, lol.
Thanks for the comments. Any way you can get a clear visual of the vent, or the pores is a good way to sex the geckos. I've used a deli cup before with a lighted loupe ( Terri's idea) to sex cresteds before, works quite well. Just make sure the deli cup is clean and one of the very clear ones ( some are slightly foggy looking).

Hopefully some new members find it helpful, and some old members are able to use it for a reference
mylude90@gmail.com

Camera Set-up:
Canon 7D
Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens
+ much more
Old 10-30-2008
Hatchling
White Belt

jul1133 is on a distinguished road

Wow great info! I am trying to sex mine right now. He/she is about 5 months old and I want to post a pic to get some advice, but he doesn't like it when i try to look down there. He keeps squirming around. I dont want to stress him out...how do you get such great pictures?
Old 12-18-2008
Hatchling
White Belt

pandathegecko222 is on a distinguished road

Wow that helped a lot thanks!!!!!
Old 12-18-2008
Hatchling
White Belt

pandathegecko222 is on a distinguished road

I won't jump to any conclusions quite yet but I strongly believe my crested gecko (Panda) is a female. she is gonna be 15 months old after Christmas. Thanks again for posting it!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2009
Egg

kayrockar is on a distinguished road

Is she pregnant? there is a little bump on their stomachs. my male dosent have one though. so both my females have this little bump, does this mean there pregnant??