Go Back   Gecko Resource Forums > General Information > Disease and Disorders

Disease and Disorders Open discussion on symptoms, diagnosis, protocol, treatment, prevention, and all things related

Old 08-15-2012
Egg
White Belt

Vienna is on a distinguished road
Dosing for Panacur

I observed one of my 3g cresteds pooping a runny poo which had an adult nematode wiggling in it. I don't know how to tell the difference between the different nematodes or even if I need to know which kind it is for treatment since Panacur is listed as treatment for all of them. I do culture nematodes to feed baby fish and the one I saw was approximately the size of a walter worm but skinnier.

Since N-fix is no longer available, and my local vet is fairly useless (firstly they have no experience with cresteds and secondly if I wanted to treat all of the other geckos that are housed in that group it would be a min of $35 PER gecko on top of the $225 for fecal and exam), I have to mix up my own.

I have seen dosages of 25-50mg/kg - I assume that is for the full concentration of the Panacur product. I purchased Panacur C which is for dogs but the same ingredient. I figured the dog dosage would potentially have a lower concentration and be easier to measure out the dosage for a small crested. This is just an assumption, though, since none of the Panacur packages said what concentration in the description.

What is the best way to administer the dosage? I could mix with water and feed to the gecko by dripping it on his lips, but I also have some fruit mix that I could mix it with.

When there was N-fix, how was the right dosage determined? As I've read it was a CGD mix with Panacur in it, but how would one regulate how much they ate?

Also I haven't found consistent answers on how often to dose the panacur. Is this a once a day for a few days or a once a week for a few weeks?

And yes, I realize a vet would be best, but I have no faith in my vet knowing any more than I can get from the community at this point. If someone has a vet or other technician that would do a phone consult, that would be great.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012
Adult
Black Belt

pakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud of
Re: Dosing for Panacur

My panacur bottle say 5-mg/kg.

It pretty much works out that when I have to dose on of my U. Henkeli or U. Fimbriatus that one drop on the nose for a week is the dosing. Obviously, a 3g crested is way smaller than either of the animals I've mentioned, and I don't know what the strength is on the dog panacur so maybe I'm really no help at all.
U. Sameiti
U. Lineatus
U. Guentheri
R. Auriculatus
R. leachianus
E. Inunguis
P. Pictus
B. Boivini
G.A. Fuscus

www.northstarherp.com

http://www.facebook.com/NorthstarHerp
Old 08-15-2012
Egg
White Belt

The dog panacur is a powder. I figured I could dilute it as necessary with water so that 1 drop would be the correct dosage. I'm not sure if the powder is pure panacur powder of if it is diluted with other ingredients. I'll have to see when I get my hands on the actual box

Is yours powder or liquid? If powder, how much powder do you mix with the liquid?
Old 08-15-2012
Adult
Black Belt

pakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud ofpakinjak has much to be proud of

Mine is liquid, that's why I say that yours may not dose the same as mine does. I would advise heavily against doing anything until you figure out if it's the same stuff, or how to get the same concentration. Personally, I wouldn't mix any dry panacur and then does a 3g gecko with it.

IMO, the best option for worms that have an indirect life cycle is to interrupt said cycle- transfer the animal to a bare bones enclosure with a paper towel substrate and don't feed any crickets, while cleaning up any feces immediately. If the animal is healthy, it will probably clear itself of worms and this is certainly a safer method than mixing and dosing an animal that small with panacur.
U. Sameiti
U. Lineatus
U. Guentheri
R. Auriculatus
R. leachianus
E. Inunguis
P. Pictus
B. Boivini
G.A. Fuscus

www.northstarherp.com

Old 08-15-2012
Egg
White Belt

So let me back up a bit. I got a lot (as in package deal ) of geckos as my first geckos in order to get experience raising small geckos before breeding adults so that I could get a feel for how their color patterns change with age. I previously had only gargs without incident for a few years.

When the babies came in, there was one with persistent shedding problems but normal feces, one group tank had runny poo once, and over the few months that I've had them, some geckos are growing much faster than others, some seem to have stagnated although they eat. Now after seeing an adult nematode wiggling, I have to wonder if all of these incidents are due to an infestation when they came in.

I keep all my geckos on paper towels which are changed every 2 days, and the fake plants are rinsed in hot water.

I don't feed crickets or other bugs.

I don't know how keeping them as I've kept them for a few months now is going to really help any more. I am kind of leaning toward treating the suspicious characters (patient runny poo, those that aren't growing, and the shedding problem child) in the hopes that this will clear the infection that they likely had develop during their shipping trip to my house. If treating them would potentially help some of them grow better, and almost everything I read says Panacur is relatively harmless, I would like to try. It may just be me being naive, but I treat all fish that I get with Prazi when they come in to the fish room. Is this not also an acceptable thing to do with reptiles? Or is it just because of their small size?
Old 08-15-2012
Adult
Black Belt

The thing that makes it a bad idea is that you would be mixing the panacur, and then dosing such a small amount that it would almost impossible to figure out just how strong the drug is. You may end up giving 20 times what you're supposed to to a very tiny animal.

The reason a physical clearing works is because it cuts down on the chance of reinfestation. I'd assume pinworms if it were me, and they have a direct life cycle so if you religiously clean every poop you see as soon as you see it then you should see results. Don't change the paper towel every two days, change it every time you see feces, or even don't use substrate at all and clean the spot with hand sanitizer after wiping up the poo. If you do a good job of this, you will cut through the life cycle of the worms, direct life cycle or not, and should have parasite free animals in 3-8 weeks without having to guess on how to mix panacur.
U. Sameiti
U. Lineatus
U. Guentheri
R. Auriculatus
R. leachianus
E. Inunguis
P. Pictus
B. Boivini
G.A. Fuscus

www.northstarherp.com

Old 08-16-2012
Adult
Purple Belt

OctagonGecko729 is a glorious beacon of lightOctagonGecko729 is a glorious beacon of lightOctagonGecko729 is a glorious beacon of lightOctagonGecko729 is a glorious beacon of lightOctagonGecko729 is a glorious beacon of light

The way I used Panacur-C was to dust a 50/50 ratio with Repashy Calcium Plus. I did this for my two male Uroplatus lineatus when I first got them in as they were LTC and pretty much dead when I purchased them, so I suspected parasites.

However, I have no clue as to the dosing in cresteds. Panacur should be used lightly and should really just be used to supplement everything that Pakinjak has already recommended you do. Cresteds being much less delicate then Uroplatus should have absolutely no problems getting rid of parasites with little help. Make sure you keep them well hydrated during the process if you do choose to use Panacur.
3.3 N. Amyae
2.2 N. levis levis
1.0 U. Pietschmanni
4.2 U. Fimbriatus
0.1 Enchi Lesser
0.1 Bumble Bee
0.1 Enchi Bumble Bee
Chris from The Lizard Horde
www.thelizardhorde.com
Our Iherp Reptile Collection
Old 08-16-2012
Juvie
Blue Belt

Kimix is just really niceKimix is just really niceKimix is just really niceKimix is just really nice

If you don't want to use the powder...

Per the book Understanding Reptile Parasites, which I think every reptile owner should have, the Panacur suspension is 100 mg/ml.

You can guy a giant ass tube of horse dewormer, which is at the 100 mg/ml measure for $7.89 + shipping. Which will expire before you ever use even 1% of the tube.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16120

Also need to get yourself some 1cc syringes

Before I switched to this I also had verified the suspension matched with my vet had been selling me. Plus I found out about this from other forums, so yes its used by other reptile keepers.

Ive been using it for a few years now mostly on WC fresh import frogs, but a few geckos as well, with out any problems.

There are dosage charts available online such as this one http://www.thefrilleddragon.com/thre...r-Dosage-Chart

When dealing with any really small animal its pretty much going to be the smallest drop possible.

Also, when I normally bought Panacur from my vet it was often a bit liquidity, unless I would remember to request a thicker paste, the Horse tube is a nice thick paste and its very easy to glob onto the back of a roach or cricket to allow the animal to pick it up on its own, Cresteds of course are also easy since they will lick it off their nose. But I really love the thicker paste so I can let my frogs just grab it with an insect.

And I always just like to disclaim that I am not a vet, and I always recommend consulting an exotics vet.

If your faced with the situation of a vet that really doesn't know about reptiles, I have heard of people buying the reptile parasite book and giving it to their vet, so the vet will at least be more familiar with reptile parasites and the the proper drugs and doses for future visits.
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...ptile+parsites
Frogs: Solomon Island Eyelash Frogs, Mossy Tree Frogs (T. corticale), Convict Tree Frogs, Whites Tree Frogs, Bright Eyed Tree Frogs (B. albilabris), Red Sided Toads, Tomato Frogs, European Green Toads
Lizards: Sudan Plated Lizards, Madagascar Four Lined Plated Lizards, Rainbow Rock Lizard
Inverts: Millipedes, Roaches (15 species), White Spot Assassin Bugs